Delkic wins trip to Mexico

Delkic wins trip to Mexico

On Jul. 26- Aug. 6, Melina Delkic (12) got to take the trip of a lifetime to Mexico.  Getting there was not easy though.  Delkic first had to take the National Spanish Exam her sophomore year to be eligible for the Junior Travel Award,  during which she scored in the 95 percentile.  When junior year came, she took it again and scored in the 99th percentile.  Afterwards she was nominated by Senora Robinson for the trip, then filled out the application.

The application process was not easy.  First, she had to write a two page essay in Spanish about either Mexican culture or a famous Mexican Person.

“I talked about Mexican food because I love to cook, and I’ve made real mexican food before.  And I talked about wanting to try more authentic dishes that are not available here.” Delkic said.

She then had to get two recommendation letters, and send in a five minute video conversation with her teacher about why she deserved the trip.  The conversation was not allowed to be scripted and rehearsed before filming.

After everything was sent in, all she had to do was wait.  The National Spainish Exam (NSE) then selected 12 winners across the country.  Delkic was one of them.

“I couldn’t believe it.” Delkic said.  “I was so excited to to see Mexico and meet all the other kids who were going.”

24 others also won the trip through the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica (Spanish Honor Society or SHH) and attended with them. There were 36 total student, four chaperones, and one mexican tour guide.  As a group they stayed in cities such as Mexico City, Veracruz, Villahermosa, Chiapas, Campeche, Mérida, and Playa del Carmen.

While there Delkic got the chance to jump off a cliff into a sinkhole.

“It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I very glad I got the opportunity to go” Delkic said.