Taylor Swift changes it up with Red

Allen J. Schaben

America’s country sweetheart, Taylor Swift, has released her fourth studio album Red. Swift has been a hit in the music industry since her first self-titled album was released. She has won six Grammys, 10 American Music Awards, seven CMAs and six ACMAs. While she has been known for her country break up songs, she has changed up her genre with her newest album.

Before the release of her album, Swift released one single every week in the 5 weeks leading up to Red. She already had a hit single with the break-up anthem “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together”. Most of Swift’s album has a “pop” feel to it. There are still a few country tunes here and there, but you can definitely notice a change. One song which showcases the more “pop” sounds of Swift is “I Knew You Were Trouble”.

As a non-country person myself, I originally did not find Taylor Swift and her music appealing at all. But with this change of pace, I have become a fan. Some of my favorites are “Red”, “State of Grace”, and “The Lucky One”.

Swift has just announced the 2013 Red Tour. Opening for her is Ed Sheeran, who has a duet with Taylor on her album called “Everything has Changed”. She is set to play 58 dates from March to September 2013. She will begin her tour in Omaha, Nebraska March 13 & 14. After Omaha, she will make her way to our city of St. Louis March 18 & 19.